Thursday, February 23, 2012

"Me, Lord? Single?"

7:00 pm 2/22/2012
I started reading Passion and Purity by Elizabeth Eliot a few days ago. A well recommended book, and one that extremely intrigued me. "Learning to bring your love life under Christ's control" the subtitle reads. Although I am not in a relationship at the moment, my love life is still existent. As for now I am learning more about the deepest kind of love, and how to be fully satisfied with it. However I still long for a human relationship: someone to call my own. 
And this is something I want to change.
I want to be satisfied with God's love. So much that if I am called my my Father to a life of celibacy I will commit it to His hands. Doing so, confident that His love and presence makes my life so full and joyous that I would want nothing more in the world.
Jim and Elizabeth Eliot are incredible examples of this. The each lived by key verses in their life.
Jim: Matthew 9:12 "For while some are incapable of marriage because they were born so, or were made so by men, there are others of themselves renounced by marriage for the sake of the kingdom of heaven." 
Elizabeth: Isaiah 54:5, "Your husband is your maker, whose name is the Lord of Hosts," and 1 Corinthians 7:34-35, "The unmarried or celibate woman cares for the Lord's business; her aim is to be dedicated to him in body as in spirit; but the married woman cares for worldly things; her aim is to please her husband. In saying this I have no wish to keep you on a tight rein. I am thinking simply of your own good, of what is seemly, and of your freedom to wait upon the Lord without distraction."
I desire to seek after God's own heart, and His plan for my life. I am going to set aside all desires for marriage. If the way of God is to bring a man into my life, I will then know it is in order to do His will. I want to wait patiently on the Lord as He guides me day by day in His path of righteousness. I do not doubt I will have struggles, and will plead with Him constantly as did Jesus as He fulfilled His payment on the cross to "let this cup pass from me".. but I dedicate my life to His works, to bringing His kingdom, to showing His glory and love to others in all that I am, body, mind, heart and soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment